Monday 24 June 2013

Summer Travelling - Part 1

I can't believe it's already been two weeks since I moved out of university halls and left Wales for the summer! It's been such a busy two weeks for me that it's just kind of flown by.

My aunt and uncle so very kindly drove three hours to pick up my stuff and bring me back to their house in Sheffield so that I could stay with them for a couple of days. As my parents and sister were still in Spain at this point, I was so grateful for their help and to be surrounded by family again. I'll tell you... once you leave home and live independently you sure as hell appreciate being with family and being looked after again... having your meals cooked for you, tea made for you, car rides etc. And oh my gosh, i'll tell you another thing I really appreciated during those three nights I stayed at my auntie's house... bubble baths! Having the choice to relax in a hot bubble bath rather than taking a shower was just heavenly. I had a really nice time in Sheffield. The highlight of those few days was going to the cinema with my cousin and her husband, whom I hadn't seen for two years. We saw The Big Wedding, and although the film didn't really impress me (it wasn't as funny as I had anticipated), as I never really get the opportunity to spend time with my cousin it was a really nice night :)

I then took the train (which is when I submitted my last post) to Cumbria, to stay with my grandparents for nine days. I had terrible internet connection up there, because they live in the middle of the country side, surrounded by fields and sheep, and as I couldn't get a strong 3G connection and my grandparent's don't have their own internet I couldn't blog. So yeah, I literally spent those nine days watching t.v and learning how to sew (my grandma taught me!). My grandparents fatten me up every time I go there, I swear, I know i've gained weight just from being there for just over a week!

My next stop was Chester! I met my parents and sister there, and we spent three nights in the cosiest hotel. I love Chester so much, the city is beautiful, really quaint and full of history and culture. It has such a friendly atmosphere and a major bonus is that the shopping is great! We spent the first day shopping, the second day at the zoo, and today we looked around Chester University for Chloe (as we are on a university trip for her, to help her decide where she wants to apply to) and went into the Chester Cathedral.

The Zoo!





 I love butterfly parks, and the one in Chester had some really beautiful butterflies. I adore the vivid colours on this butterfly, and the wonderful way that they blend together. 










Orangu-tangs are my one of my favourite animals! They're just so cute and so human-like, it's quite amazing to watch. This mummy ape was right up to the glass and was holding her baby (you can't see it on this photo unfortunately). She kept looking straight into the eyes of everybody watching her and you felt a real sense of likeness between the two of you.





Chester Cathedral!




I love visiting places of worship. My family and I are not overly religious, never go to church or anything. But i've always wished that I was. I find faith so beautiful and pure, and places of worship, whether they be christian churches, muslim mosques or buddhist temples, to be so peaceful and revitalising. Stained glass windows are one of my favourite things, and I just had to take a photo of this particular one in the Chester Cathedral because it was just so mesmerising... I couldn't take my eyes off of it!







My family and I drove back to Sheffield this afternoon to stay a few nights with my aunt and uncle, so I'll make sure to keep you updated during my time here!

-Alyssa xo

No comments:

Post a Comment