Wednesday 9 October 2013

Back in Bangorland!

Okay, so I'M STILL ALIVE! It's been so long since my last post... about three weeks! I've been so incredibly busy, and although I'd love to share with you everything i've been up to these past few weeks, it would literally take me an entire day to do so, so I'll just have to tell you about a few things ^^

As you could have probably guessed by the title of this post, I am indeed back in Bangor! For those of you who don't know where Bangor is, well it's a teeny tiny little city (one of the smallest in Britain!) in north west Wales, UK (and i'm talking pretty much as north as you can get!). Although it's small, I love this little city to pieces. It's a university city with a population of about 14000, roughly 10000 of which being students! It's pretty awesome because as my school isn't a typical 'campus' school, and is spread throughout the city, as the majority of the population are students, it makes the place seem like one big university world. It's like living in a bubble, which I love ^^ Although this year I haven't taken any photos of Bangor itself, I'll show you some old ones I'd taken so you can see what it looks like ^^

This photo was taken right by the main university building, which is on top of a hill. You can see down onto Bangor from up here :) As Bangor is on the coast, we're surrounded by the sea, and I'm so glad that we have water near by, because I'm too used to living by the sea (in Singapore I was a five minute walk from the sea, and in Spain my house is also a 1 minutes drive to the beach!). I think I'd feel trapped without having open water close by... I love open water just as much as I love lights, they make me happy when I'm feeling down, and always manage to open my mind when I'm stressing out about something (usually unnecessarily).


This is a photo of a small part of Bangor University's main building. I love this building so much, and I think it's rather beautiful, it's commonly known as the 'hogwarts building' here ^^ This is where I have most of my lectures, and so spend the majority of my school hours here.


 I know this photo isn't the best however it's the one of the more decent ones I have of Bangor's high street. Bangor's high street is supposedly the longest high street in Wales, however from the big cities i'm used to... it's so quaint and cute ^^


These next two photos were taken on Bangor pier. I love the pier, it's such a nice place to take a stroll and to sit and have a heart to heart with a friend. It's absolutely freezing in the winter months though, because the sea breeze attacks you left, right and centre!



This photo was taken on the beach at about this time last year! My friends and I went down to the beach for sunset to have a BBQ. It was such a lovely night and it is one of my favourite memories of my first year in Bangor and in University ^^


I love being in such a geographically awesome place! As well as the sea, we're also surrounded by mountains. These two photos were taken at the top of Snowdonia mountain range, in may. My friends, Logan and I all hiked up there together for the day and it, again, has become one of my most fond memories of last year <3




 It's so so great being back in Bangor, and back with my friends ^^ It's weird, but nice, being in second year rather than first. I miss living in halls, but I'm really enjoying the new house and being able to live with so many of my friends...there's NINE of us! It's quite hectic in the kitchen and such, and it's been quite a challenge to keep it clean, but other than that it's super lovely being in a busy, bustling house ^^

I flew back to the UK with my parents on the 20th September, and drove to my aunts house in Sheffield to spend the weekend, and to collect all of my stuff which my aunt and uncle so kindly stored for me over the summer. My parents and I drove to Bangor on the sunday, and they helped me move all my stuff into the new house. I love my new room, it's so spacious and it's all nice and cosy with my fairy lights, pictures and posters.

My parents stayed until that thursday, which I was really happy about because my dad had never been to Bangor, and so I had the opportunity to show him where i've been for the past year and where I will be for the next two! Unfortunately I didn't take many photos that week but the few I did I'll include ^^

I took my parents to llandudno for a day out and we had a really nice time (despite the heavy fog). Due to the fog my photo's aren't the best of quality, and to top it off, they were taken with my phone rather than my camera ^^

I love this photo of my parents, they look so cute ^^ ahhh, I miss them! :'(





For those of you who know me well, you will know that I take photos of my food quite a bit too often. But cmon'... this nutella and banana crepe was just too beautiful NOT to take a photo of! ^^ My parents and I went to have crepes at the crepe cafe in upper Bangor, and I can't believe i've only been there twice in the whole year that i've been here. The pancakes are so yum, and the cafe is so small, cute and cosy. I'm hoping to turn this cafe into a regular place for my friends and I to eat, muahaha ^^


I've only actually been to a few parties in the last two weeks! However, each time I did actually go out I did get quiteeeeee drunk. I've become such a light weight over the summer. I hardly had any alcohol the entire four month holiday, so coming back to university partying took my body by surprise ^^  I got most drunk last wednesday night, on the horse riding club social (I'm part of the horse riding club, if you didn't already know ^^), and we did a sort of pub crawl... we went to specific pubs and had to have specific drinks in each place, and by have I mean not take your time and enjoy, but down your drink in two. In total I had about ten or eleven drinks, whoops ^^ The evidence is clear in the photos from that night. Some of the photos are so embarrassing, I most certainly will not share them on here haha ^^ I'll post a few photos from that night though, just because it was such an awesome night, with such great people!

I wish this photo of Lucy and I came out clearer, it would have been such a good photo of the two of us together! Although the quality of this photo isn't the best, I still wanted to include it in this post because Lucy Lou means a lot to me and I love her to bits. Lucy and I were flat mates last year, and are still living together this year. I'm so happy that we were put into the same flat last year because she has become someone whom I can confide in, which is extremely difficult for me to do. I just wanted to say thank you to her for giving me another person to trust and another person to open up to and to just be myself with <3



I love these two girls too! Emma (to the right) and Rachel (in the middle). Like Lucy, Emma and I were also flat mates last year, and are still living together this year. Emma was the first person I truly bonded with in Bangor, and if it weren't for her I would have felt quite alone. She was the first friend in bangor whom I confided in with everything, and I feel so blessed to have met her and so grateful to have her in my life.

I met Rach through the riding club, and she is honestly one of the most lovely and genuine people I know. Although we don't spend as much time together as I would like, whenever we hang out it's always so much fun and full of laughs ^^



Such a fine photo of the three of us.... haha ^^ Again, I just wanted to post this photo because of the wonderful people in it.. Emma and Lucy. I seriously love them both so much, and I personally think we make such an awesome little trio ^^


The riding club! I had such a good night last wednesday with the club and tomorrow we're all going for a quiet dinner together. I'm so excited about it! They all make such wonderful company :)



My little family <3 These guys (plus others who couldn't fit in the photo!) have seriously become my family away from home. They've made my time here so far in Bangor amazing, and i'm happy to be continuing the experience with them for another year. If these guys have anything to do with it... this year is going to be awesome!


Another highlight of the last two weeks was going out for a family dinner with the house. We went to Varsity and pigged out on huge meals and shared desserts ^^


Not only have I enjoyed my social life back in Bangor so far, but i've also really enjoyed being back in school and studying the subject that I just keep growing even more in love with; psychology! I can't explain how much i'm loving studying the subject i've been so passionate about since the age of twelve, but didn't have the chance to up until last year! We're studying three completely new modules this semester, and so far i'm enjoying them all; social psychology (which i'm absolutely loving), psychobiology, and cognition & perception. I'm such a nerd, just thinking about studying psychology makes me so incredibly happy! Meehee ^^

Well, it's now 1am and I should really be getting to sleep now. I will try my absolute best to ensure my next post will come sooner than this one did!

-Alyssa xo

No comments:

Post a Comment