Thursday 4 July 2013

Make a Change


Having spent the last two weeks looking around different universities in England for my sister, I've come to realise that I really haven't taken advantage of the opportunities my own university has to offer. I didn’t get involved as much as I should have in my first year, and that is something that I regret. I spent a lot of my time in my bedroom by myself, without really realizing it. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t a total loner, I have made a lot of great new friends whom I’m excited to see again in September, and I did experience the average night life experience as a university student. I worked hard, and earned good grades, and I took up an activity of mine that I’ve always loved but hadn’t done in the five years I was living in Singapore; horse riding. I also was involved in charity work for Riding for the Disabled (RDA)…which I am now officially co-organizing for this upcoming academic year. And last but not least, I’ve been able to experience living in a new country. However, I regret having only been involved with one club/society (Bangor Riding Club), and wish I had tried out for the netball team (as I love netball), and wish I had tried something a little bit different. That way I would have spent my free time much more productively, and as a bonus, I would have expanded my friendship circle.

More than my social life, I feel that I didn’t take enough advantage of the academic opportunities that my university had to offer. Although I did attend all of my lectures (apart from two or three) and seminars, I did not go much further than that. I should have asked for advice from my personal tutor for things such as writing up a decent CV, and taking up her offer to write me a recommendation letter for me to give to places I wanted to volunteer at. I should have found out exactly how the Bangor Employability Award works and I should have made sure I was very much on track for receiving one. I should have attended extra workshops to gain extra, helpful and employable skills. I should have taken advantage of the free counseling service when I was homesick or anxious.

But hey, I’m not going to dwell on all the things I regret I didn’t do, but instead take this acknowledgement and ensure that my second year will be better spent and that my employability improves. This university trip around England for my sister, has certainly opened my eyes, and I am so glad that it was now and not a time when it was too late!

- Alyssa xo

No comments:

Post a Comment