Wednesday 7 August 2013

In Love With Tennessee

I can't even express how happy I am to be here in Tennessee with Logan. I've always wanted to explore the U.S, and now that's exactly what I'm doing. Obviously I'm not going to experience all the States, however I will get a flavor of three: Tennessee, Iowa and Illinois. Tennessee is amazing, I'm so in love with it. I could totally live here, it's such a me place! So friendly, cosy and pretty. I would love to be here during Christmas, I can only imagine how beautiful it would be, with all the lights, cute decorations and warm festivity! I'm so glad that I'm able to visit Tennessee, and to finally experience what Logan has been experiencing.

Every single day I've been here I've had such a great time. My second day in Tennessee was really nice, but sadly I only took a few photos. I'll post them anyhow. In the morning we went to the Franklin farmers market. And I know it might sounds strange, but I really loved it, it's really my kind of place. If I had the opportunity to buy fresh vegetables and homemade granola, honey and jam from a farmers market every week, I would! I'm s sucker for natural and fresh things, so I was pretty much in heaven there.




After the market Logan and his parents took me out to lunch at a really nice restaurant called Saffire, and I had the biggest salad ever, which I couldn't even manage to finish half of. The restaurant was in a really cool shopping mall, again, totally my kind of place... it was full of artsy shops, gift shops, home decor shops and shops where you can take lessons,  for example they had a store that did culinary classes, and another store which did stained glass making. Logan and I saw them all one after another and got pretty excited about doing them all! Although I would love to take all the classes with Logan, it will work out to be really expensive, so we'll see how it goes. I've asked Logan if he'll take me back to that mall at some point so that we can look round again properly, I want to check out the gift stores and such, yay! 

On the third day we went to Nashville Broadway! And oh my gosh, I LOVE it. I wish I could go back there a thousand times more. I'm so excited to go back there with Logan some time soon because it was amazing. It's better than I imagined it would be. We went into a bar where a guy was singing and he was incredibly good. All the other singers and musicians I heard that day were all really good :') Well I guess, Nashville is THE place to go if you're a musician trying to be found. I could go on and on about Nashville for hours even though I was only there for under two hours. So I'll narrow it down and explain the photos that I took whilst I was there.







 I really want to buy boots and a hat! But I know I'd look pretty ridiculous if I wore them any where other than here, so I'll have to control my urge to buy them. There are so many hats and boots apparel stores in Nashville. I didn't go into one this day, however I do plan on going into one when I go back, because I've never been into one. Walking around Nashville my ears were in heaven because Southern American accents are my favourite accents in the entire world!




We went into a candy store, and oh my gosh, it was full of amazing stuff. Logan and I bought a carmel apple like the ones you see in the photo to the right (except not covered in chocolate and nuts, just a plain caramel one), but we still haven't managed to eat it yet! We've got to eat it soon though because we're leaving for IOWA in a couple of days!


That evening Logan took me to the mall where he's been working this summer, and it was so great being in a mall again! The last time I was in a shopping mall was in April, and I've only been to that same one in Spain this whole year. I hadn't been to any other mall since I lived in Singapore, so since September! :O I got to go into Victoria's Secret, and for those of you who know me well will know how much I enjoyed that (I'm a big big Victoria's Secret fan).

We then went out to dinner with Logan's parents and brothers. All the restaurant's I've eaten at here have been really nice! Really nicely decorated with friendly and cosy atmospheres. And guess what!? I tried Alligator for the first time :O Even though I'm pescetarian, it's a really popular food here and I felt like giving it a go, so I did! Actually these past few weeks I've been considering eating meat again. I may eat some meat when I go to IOWA because I'll be staying with Logan's grandparents and I feel kind of rude if they have to make separate meals for me, I feel like a nuisance.

On Monday, Logan's mum, Logan and I went to Belle Meade Plantation, which is where famous race horses were raised in the 1800's. It was a nice, cultural day out, I really enjoyed it.







I wanted to take a photo of this dish because it's local. It's fried green tomatoes, and they were really yummy!

I don't know if you can read the sign because it's quite small, but it reads 'slave cabin'. This little hut was where the slaves of Belle Meade Plantation would sleep. There were over a hundred slaves, and the cow hut opposite was bigger than the slave cabin! Inside there were information boards about individual slaves that used to reside there, I found them really interesting to read. A lot of them actually chose to stay and work at the plantation even after slavery had been abolished.

I'm falling incredibly behind on updating you on my holiday in the U.S! I have done so much more since the day I went to Belle Meade, but I just haven't had time to write about it!


-Alyssa xo

No comments:

Post a Comment